Do you know that even the commonest health issues like cold and flu is associated with unhealthy digestive system?
This is so because more than half of the immune cells reside in your digestive tract and any imbalance here is likely to throw your overall health out of gear. Let us check out the tips that improves your digestion and overall health in general.
How Slow Digestion Affects Your Overall Health?
Slow digestion can wreak an absolute havoc on your health. Apparently, when the food you eat does not get digested for a long time, your body would not be able to absorb the vital nutrients. This in turn leads to nutritional deficiencies and your overall health suffers.
When the food you eat remains in the intestine (bowel form) for a prolonged period, harmful bacteria begin to breed there and you suffer from gas, bloating, constipation and a number of other allergic reactions.
What Causes Slow Digestion?
Trans Fats and sedentary lifestyles are the major causes of slow digestion. Fast foods and hydrogenated oils are too difficult to get digested. Our body faces a hard time digesting them as the result of which they accumulate in the colon region and hamper the digestion process. Secondly, our inactive lifestyle slows down our body metabolism and the food we eat does not get digested and absorbed in the body properly.
How Can You Maintain A Healthy Digestive Track?
- Switch to a fiber rich diet. Eat more of whole grains, nuts, veggies and fruits. Start your day with a bowlful of porridge or oatmeal ( high in soluble fibers). Fill half of your platter with raw veggies and another with healthy food.
- Incorporate yoghurt in your diet. Do not forget to include a bowlful of yoghurt in the meals you take. It contains bacteria which are friendly to your gut. These bacteria promote the movement of bowel and hence helps in colon cleansing.
- Take out half an hour of your hectic schedule daily for workouts. Try to enhance your metabolic rate, which in turn leads to improved digestion.
- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water daily. Lukewarm water is better. Start your day with hot lemon water and swallow 2-3 cloves of garlic (contains prebiotic which is a substance that increases the activity of gut friendly microbes) . Take this in an empty stomach.
- Kiwifruit is one of the best prebiotic foods that contains soluble fibers. There are several others foods like raw onion, strawberries, bananas, cabbage, spinach and oatmeal that improve overall digestion because they are rich sources of probiotics. Here are some more tips.